Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Well...here are the results!

So for more than a month I have avoided blogging about the topic of my impending Dunk Challenge.  As the date drew near and my progress slowed I because a little depressed that my message would be lost once the PepFest came and I would be unable to dunk. 

Well today was the day...December 5th!  In front of the entire student body I put my best foot forward (literally).  The results were....

I ended up grabbing the rim with full authority.  This was somthing that I had not done previously during any of my workouts.  Without a doubt I was feeling the adrenaline of the moment.  Based on my early baseline tests I increased my vertical from 16" to 24" which represents 8inches of improvement!

The best part was the fact that I could not handle the ball and truly dunk did not matter.  My hope was that I was able to deliver a message that I set the bar high...really high.  I fell just short of my goal but still improved by 50% over what I could do before.

What are the takeaways?  With hard work and dedication you can achieve great things.  You cannot high jump over a low bar.  Having the support of your friends, family, and colleagues is incredibly valuable.  Jumping 8" higher is a demonstration that you can improve at anything you set your mind to...including doing better at school.

Below is a video of the attempt with a slow-mo replay.  A huge and sincere thank you to the entire EVHS community for your support.  THIS IS NOT OVER.  I will continue to train the DUNK will happen.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely incredible!!! Way to go Greg! Next time we will have a GoPro at the top of the backboard shooting down. You will look like a Polaris missile.

    ReplyDelete