Tuesday, August 21, 2012

P90X...Ouch!!!!

So the last two days I have started the cycle of the P90X workout system.  After Day 1 (shoulders/back & ab ripper) and Day 2 (plyometrics) all I have to say is "OUCH".  I have always considered it pretty easy to get in distance running shape, which is my preferred method of working out.  Doing these other muscle groups has been tough on my body.  I must admit that I know that I have to make a shift in my thinking.  After talking to one of our PE/Health teachers I was reminded that all the long, slow, distance training is not what I need for this goal.  It is the explosive, plyometric, speed intervals, and weight training that I have typically avoided that will get me to my dunking goal.

Right now I am setting a course to use the P90X workout routine because it has an overall philosophy of muscle confusion.  I am going to continue running, but only use it for warmups/cooldowns and hill running on the weekend.  In addition I am going to try a specific vertical jump training program I found online for 2 days a week.  Finally, I actually need to pick up a basketball and just play some hoops.  Right now staring up at the basketball rim in the gym can be very intimidating.

No comments:

Post a Comment