Monday, September 17, 2012

2nd Street Basketball Court (Lesson - Patience)

This is a picture I took of the 2nd Street basketball goal...
there was something idyllic about the clouds, mountains, and sun-rays
that made it very photogenic today.
So I was driving home from the grocery store yesterday when I intentionally went out of my way to drive by the 2nd Street basketball courts in gypsum.  I got out of my car and decided to test my vertical right then and there.  I had already worked out for the day and could not help myself from testing out my vertical skills.  It's kind of funny because every time I see something that is either a basketball goal or around that height I immediately think....could I jump and reach that.
A valuable lesson I am learning is one of patience.  I really want to jump and reach and dunk the basketball....NOW.  Not two days from now, not two weeks from now, and definitely not two months from now.  Although I am seeing progress I cannot help but feel that the goal in mind becomes more frustrating when progress is not obvious or documented.  (Hold your breath because here comes the obvious educational parallel.)  In education we are often faced with a similar dilemma.  We want kids to change their behavior...NOW.  We want our test scores to improve...NOW.  We want to see implementation of new curriculum...NOW.  What is most important is to have a plan in place to achieve change and stick to those plans even when you face adversity or become frustrated with a lack of results. 

It is the patience to see through the entire process and work on all the components necessary when real change will occur.

Did I jump any higher at the 2nd Street basketball court than I had earlier in the day at my workout?  No, I did not.  However, I know that with continued hard work and patience I still believe I can achieve my goal.  I have a good plan in place and I cannot lose sight of how being patient when you have a good plan in place is a key part of achieving success.

2 comments:

  1. Keep jumping...expect more. You're better for the journey, every day you live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I can notice the fact that you undoubtedly understand what you are writing about over here. Do you own an education that is associated with the subject of this blog entry? Can't wait to see your reply.

    ReplyDelete