Monday, September 3, 2012

Phi Slamma Jamma

The last time I played basketball competitively/regularly was during my college years at Kansas State University.  I lived in a fraternity and we regularly played pickup games on the goal in our parking lot when the weather allowed.  Some of my favorite memories are from playing with my best friends and pledge brothers in winner stays/loser goes competitions.  They were always fierce with nobody calling any fouls and occasional injuries from rough play.  How could you not have a good time with guys named Hams, Saw, Waldo, Vibe, Clitch, Elmo, Sode, Solo, Fish, Bait, Yoda, Jed, Sunny, Splash, and Chester.

The ultimate however was my participation in intramural 3 on 3 basketball.  During my Junior and Senior years I teamed forces with brothers Taz and Walt to form my last forray into basketball specific training.  We were not just a team...we were PHI SLAMMA JAMMA.  Although the name was borrowed from the University of Houston team from the early 80's that featured Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon, we were convinced that we could emulate our basketball heroes on the court. 

Taz was the slasher with a quick first step and ability to finish at the rim.  Walt was the distributer who made the offense flow.  I took on the role of defensive stopper and generally annoying little white guy (think of every Duke gaurd you ever hated).  As a unit we trained at the gym and worked on the skills the would make us better.  Specifically we would do squats and call out the rebounds we were getting with each rep...Box Out...Snatch It...I Own You Fool...

Although none of us were ever varsity level players in high school...as a 3 on 3 team we were pretty formidable.  In my junior year we lost to a team called the Vanilla Gorillas who actually won a national tournament of college 3 on 3 intramural teams.  My senior year we made it to the quarterfinals and lost to a team in what I remember as an epic battle that went down to the wire.

As I trained today for my Expect More Dunk challenge I actually went back to those days almost 20 years ago and thought about what they meant.  Through comraderie, communication, hard work, and passion I was a part of something that made me really proud.  I hope that the EVHS community takes on these same characteristics as we work towards greater goals.

-kai-
(this is for you Beta Brothers and Phi Slamma Jamma)

No comments:

Post a Comment